LBA NAND corruption

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Oct 21 12:39:13 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-21 at 12:22 -0400, John Watlington wrote:

> Mitch,
>     One of the LBA NAND test machines killed it's MBR.
> It started with a failed comparison of the commonly
> written blocks, then stopped talking to the device at
> all.
>
> On reboot, fdisk showed no partition table.
> dd of /dev/lba showed all FFs for the first 16K,
> then 00 for the next 2K, then data.
>
> Suggestions on how to proceed w. debugging
> are welcome.

This is one of the reasons I'm so concerned about this type of device.
When you're dealing with stuff in software, if you have a bug you can
whip the developers harder. When something goes wrong inside the
device's internal firmware, there really isn't much you can do about it
at all.

David.Woodhouse at intel.com                              Intel Corporation