9.1 Proposal: Printing support

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 21 09:08:55 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 13:47 -0700, david at lang.hm wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Oct 2008, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> >> once concern that I have with CUPS/IPP (which may very well just be an
> >> implementation issue with the current tools) is that the setups that I
> >> have seen have wanted to have the printer driver for the specific printer
> >> on the device initiating the print job.
> > I have never seen a cups setup where drivers for printers need to be on
> > the client. For example, on my F9 machine I print to a HP 1020 Laser
> > printer and a Canon BCJ 210 printers. But my local machine has drivers
> > installed for neither machine.
>
> every time I have setup CUPS it has wanted to know exactly what type of
> machine is on the far side and install the drivers for it. sometimes it
> can pull the driver from the server the printer is attached to (if the
> appropriate drivers have been installed there)
>
> in your case where you have the two different printers, what type of
> printer do you tell your local machine that you have?
>
> David Lang

We must be having a communication glitch. In my case I have a machine
that is the print server. It has the Cannon printer attached to it, The
HP Laserjet is attached to a Windows XP machine in another room.

I don't know what you mean by setting up CUPS. On the client machines
you just have to see that cupsd is running. No set up needs to be done
beyond that In particular you do not have to run system-config-cups nor
try to configure the printers through the cups web interface, Now if you
do neither of those things you will not be asked about the remote
printers and no installation of print drivers will be necessary. The
print server broadcasts information on the printers it controls and the
clients just use the information. If you do bring up localhost:631 in
your browser the printers will be just there.
I don't get no respect.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net