9.1 Proposal: Printing support

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 04:59:10 EDT 2008

Ok - I had missed the whole thread in my earlier reply.

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 9:24 AM, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at laptop.org> wrote:
> *But*, we should be able to:
>    *  Print postscript (or pdf, or whatever, just pick *one*) to
> school server via CUP (IPP?), and install a "decent selection" of
> printer drivers on the school server. Control panel for 'default
> printer name', fixed to 'XS' by default.

Ok - adding the XS side of this is something we can do in the 9.1 lifecycle.

As I mentioned in my other email, the mechanical part of getting
printing done is not the most interesting part of the job. It's the
social issues around it -- handling of quotas, priorities, etc that I
think deserve most attention. Paper, ink and printer time are
extremely valuable.

So far we have not built anything yet to share handle limited
resources across users yet -- and doing it across something so lumpy
as printing resources it going to be an interesting exercise in
building social software.

Jim talked quite a bit about this back when I was first @ 1CC, and
I've seen it firsthand in many schools and tertiaries.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions