9.1 Proposal: Printing support

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Oct 20 13:57:05 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 09:15 -0700, Jim Gettys wrote:
> Note there is a client library for IPP for cups that can talk to remote
> servers, without having to run a spooler locally.  This may be a better
> option....

It might be if it were an option that actually worked.  But I tried it a
month or so ago and you must have the cups daemon running to discover
remote printers.  That doesn't mean you have to have a local queue set
up for the printer, but all of the discovery happens in the daemon and
not in client apps.

Jeremy