9.1 Proposal: Printing support

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Mon Oct 20 13:53:33 EDT 2008

This is not true; you can presume all cups/IPP printers support
postscript and PDF, courtesy of ghostscript in the remote cups server.

And cairo will happily produce PDF.

That IPP can expose other formats to clients can be treated as a legacy
capability, from where we sit.
                            - Jim

On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 10:20 -0700, david at lang.hm wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Oct 2008, Jeremy Katz wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2008-10-17 at 16:24 -0400, C. Scott Ananian wrote:
> >> *But*, we should be able to:
> >>     *  Print postscript (or pdf, or whatever, just pick *one*) to
> >> school server via CUP (IPP?),
> >
> > cups uses IPP under the hood and IPP is definitely the route to go as
> > it's basically The Standard in printing these days.  One thing that
> > would probably be interesting for OLPC with cups, though, would be
> > working on making it so that the daemon can be started on-demand rather
> > than having to start on start-up.  There's some support in cupsd for
> > this already, but it's tied to launchd on OS/X.
>
> once concern that I have with CUPS/IPP (which may very well just be an
> implementation issue with the current tools) is that the setups that I
> have seen have wanted to have the printer driver for the specific printer
> on the device initiating the print job.
>
> the setup that we would want to use for the XO would be to have them all
> create the job using a single definition (postscript would be traditional
> for this sort of thing) and then have the server convert this to what the
> local printer needs.
>
> David Lang
Jim Gettys <jg at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child