failures disabling security [was Re: journal is hard + sugar and the digital age]

pgf at pgf at
Wed Oct 15 12:18:16 EDT 2008

erik wrote:
 > On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 02:30:47PM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
 > > On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 12:55:43PM -0400, Erik Garrison wrote:
 > >> In particular, our security model has the effect of preventing work on
 > >> this issue that isn't supported by all the core developers.
 > >
 > > Scott seems to be suffering from no impediment from our security model
 > > so please explain your complaint in more detail or
 > >
 > >   rm /etc/olpc-security
 > >   and get on with life.
 > I am attempting to disable rainbow security with this command but
 > finding failures with several activities:

what is the actual effect of removing that file?  in particular,
what affect does it have on things specified in
persistent uid, access to USB serial, etc?  (it may have no
affect -- but if it disables any of those features, it feels like
a possible issue.)

 paul fox, pgf at