9.1 Proposal: Printing support

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Fri Oct 17 16:24:43 EDT 2008

We should consider adding basic Print support for 9.1.  In the past
this has foundered on questions like, "what brand(s) of printers?
what connection mechanism?"  It seems impossible to support every
printer and every connection mechanism in a reasonable amount of NAND
space.

*But*, we should be able to:
    *  Print postscript (or pdf, or whatever, just pick *one*) to
school server via CUP (IPP?), and install a "decent selection" of
printer drivers on the school server. Control panel for 'default
printer name', fixed to 'XS' by default.
    * Add basic printing support to Write, Read, and Browse; set
PRINTER env variable.
    * for future, add support to Paint, Record, etc.
for 9.1.

Again, I can give a quick talk just restating the above, and hopefully
spurring a discussion about how much work this would or would not be
and whether we can afford to do this for 9.1 (or can't afford not to
do it), but I'd love it if someone would volunteer to 'own' the issue
and make a more concrete proposal, present a demo, investigate other
issues involved, etc.
 --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )