9.1 Proposal: Legacy compatibility.

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Fri Oct 17 15:51:01 EDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 3:45 PM, Sayamindu Dasgupta <sayamindu at gmail.com> wrote:
> Apart from the window manager stuff - something I will probably be
> working on is support for standard .desktop files - which are used to
> generate the main menu entries in standard desktops. Any .desktop file
> installed in the usual places should show up in the activity list, so
> everytime you are using an XO for dogfooding, you don't have to fire
> up Terminal/xterm/<insert your favourite terminal emulator here> to
> run an application.
> I should ideally have some code to show by the time of the camp.

Cool!  There are two parts of this, I guess: making Sugar recognize
.desktop files, and generating .desktop files from Sugar activity.info
files.  Like I briefly outlined in my previous message, you could have
the activity registry export a ~/.sugar-xdg directory (say) whether
via FUSE or by old-fashioned "write the files to the filesystem and
keep them up to date" and with an appropriate XDG_DATA_DIR we can
interoperate both ways.
 --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )