Call for Proposals for OLPC miniconference November 17-21, 2008

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Fri Oct 17 14:52:48 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 6:05 PM, Greg Smith <gregsmitholpc at gmail.com> wrote:
> An OLPC miniconference will be held November 17-21, 2008 at our
> Cambridge offices (10th floor, 1 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA, USA)
[...]
> Please submit proposals for topics to cover. These may include, but
> are not limited to:
[...]
> Please submit < 200 word descriptions of topics or sessions on the
> event page [2] or by emailing your ideas to xocamp at laptop.org .

I would suggest that people cc' devel@ and sugar@ as well, so that we
can see what has been proposed (and encourage people to make proposals
who have not already).  Let me suggest using a subject line like "9.1
Proposal: <short summary>", and putting the body of the proposal in
the body of the message.  Feel free to break with netiquette and
respond with "me, too"s - I expect a number of people will want to
present ideas related to (say) "translation", so if everyone
interested in the topic gives a "me, too", we'll know how much time to
allocate to the topic and how many presentations we might squeeze out
of attendees: one person giving an hour long talk, four people giving
5 minute lightning proposals, or what.

I'll lead off with a number of my own proposals in emails following
this one.  Some of these I've got "one 30 second idea" about, and I'd
love to hear someone step up to present a fuller roadmap.  Others I've
got detailed plans for -- but I want to hear your counter-proposals.
So I'll lead off, but please don't be shy with your own proposals,
'me, too's or 'I'd like to present an alternative's.

Also: MAKE PROPOSALS EVEN IF YOU CAN'T MAKE THE MEETINGS.  In the past
we've made various arrangements for remote presentations, ranging from
having someone give a talk via conference call as we paged through
slides, to having someone local present a remote person's slides, to
harrassing someone who will attend to give a presentation on an
otherwise unrepresented topic.

I got informal agreement from Ed that nothing will get on the olpc 9.1
roadmap without having at least a brief timeslot allocated to it at
the planning meeting, where the costs/feasibility/etc can be discussed
-- so if you want a feature in 9.1, please make sure we get a proposal
on it.  Thanks!
  --scott

[Greg Dek: could you solicit proposals from the Fedora side?
Presentations on new Fedora goodness we could take better advantage
of, on infrastructure stuff, or even on things like "the F11 release
schedule" would be very helpful!]
--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )