Fedora 10 for 9.1.0?

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 06:02:27 EDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 18:21, Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-10-12 at 13:34 +0200, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
>> do we plan to rebase to F10 for 9.1.0? I'm asking because I'd need to
>> know if I can depend on gtk 2.14...
>
> If not, then you're going to be basing on a Fedora release which will be
> EOL'd[1] very soon after the OLPC release...
>
> Jeremy
>
> [1] Fedora 9 EOL will be 1 month after Fedora 11's release, so say
> June-ish

Then it seems we should have the expectation of rebasing during every
major OLPC release, since we are doing time based releases and so is
Fedora.

This means we need a strategy of to handle this, and not just find
someone for this time, but get better at doing it so that it becomes
less of an issue every time.

Ubuntu rebases off Debian unstable every six months. When a new
development cycle opens, they first update the toolchain - compilers
etc - then have a period to suck in debian packages, then a
stabilisation period, then a feature freeze, then progressively more
freezes before release. See
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IntrepidReleaseSchedule for an example.

Regards
Morgan