Fedora 10 for 9.1.0?

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net
Wed Oct 15 05:42:28 EDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 11:30 AM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 10:57:45AM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> Ubuntu also seems a much better fit in spirit than RedHat.
>
> Agreed.  xodist could easily be used, and the OLPC specific RPMs could
> be converted to .deb with not a lot of effort.  Launchpad could also
> offer some benefit in terms of package branches and private package
> archives.
>
> But really, it comes down to what the current developers are familiar
> with.  The technical reasons don't beat not-invented-here.

I don't think it comes down to that. I have used debian-based distros
since the first debian appeared and today still use Ubuntu on all my
personal computers. Needed to learn new stuff to do my work on OLPC
like packaging rpms, using koji, etc but nothing that supposed a big
effort.

What it comes down is the support that you get. RH has invested very
talented engineers' time to the project (starting with Marco, what
would be Sugar today if he wasn't around?). I'm not sure if Canonical
shares the Sugar vision or if they would have invested so much on OLPC
stuff.

But about the community, I must say that we have had awesome support
from both the Fedora and Debian+Ubuntu communities.

I'm saying this as an observer, I'm just a contracted developer and
don't have any insider information about OLPC deals with other
companies. My point is only that RH has already done a great deal of
work in Sugar even if it hasn't been advertised widely.

Regards,

Tomeu