[OLPC-Philippines] getting mp3 sound working w/ Gnash easily

Jerome Gotangco jgotangco at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 04:36:00 EDT 2008

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 4:13 PM, Carlos Nazareno <object404 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Also, is it possible that we ship the Gnash 0.8.4 RC with build 8.2.0
> final instead of 0.8.3?
>
> As I understand it from the Gnash dev team, Gnash 0.8.4 is very close
> to release and so many bugs have been fixed in the current trunk. One
> complaint with Gnash and OLPC ships is that the Gnash version that
> ships with OLPC always ends up behind the current Gnash version.
>
> And if we ship with 0.8.3, once Gnash 0.8.4 comes out (pretty close
> enough from what I read from Gnash dev), G1G1 users are going to be
> stuck with an older outdated version of Gnash for a long time.
>
> Gnash dev, can we look at getting the latest version of Gnash 0.8.4
> trunk to the OLPC dev guys asap?
> AFAIK, the latest version of Gnash fixes so much more bugs than 0.8.3
> stable that it's much more worth it to ship 0.8.4 release candidate
> with the OLPC than 0.8.3 stable.

It would be great if its possible, but I fear that the time for code
freeze in OLPC has passed but the Gnash dev is about to release so its
an unfortunate timing for both camps.

What's possible for sure is that when the next version of Gnash comes
out, it can be pushed via Software Update.

I could be completely wrong though, but typical distribution releases
usually pick an upstream code freeze date, make necessary fixes, do
the testing for regression, then release with as few bugs as possible.
Then push for updates when fully tested.

--
Jerome G.

Website: http://www.gotangco.com
Blog: http://engage.wordpress.com