journal is hard + sugar and the digital age

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 14:34:29 EDT 2008

Hi Carol,

Re your comment:
there is nothing approaching a feature oriented roadmap there, though a
lot of good input is gathered in the mails captured at the end of his
w.l.o/9.1 link, and of course there is no clue in this page as to which
if any of these suggestions will be implemented and when.  That is the
problem.  Here's what I mean by a feature roadmap.  Pick a set of key
improvements.  Say when you are going to do them in words that can be
understood by an outsider.  (Not, for example, "glucose  6.7.8.9 <with a
git pointer>" ).   Asking for this roadmap is not about criticizing that
the development is going too slow.

**********
I agree that we need better future directions communication. I think
Eben recently said he will try to clean that up from the Sugar UI side.

On the XO software in general, right now we do not have a firm enough
plan beyond 8.2 to create a roadmap like you describe. Its on my to do
list to clean up the 9.1 page but it will be a while before we can
choose the set of features and approximate order or time frame for them.

That said, 8.2 is not quite released yet (will be generally available
and and manufactured next week) so for a few more days, the current
roadmap is: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/8.2.0

Let me know if that is written in the user accessible language you want
to see.

As soon as we have a plan for after 8.2, I'm all in favor of writing a
feature level roadmap. Its a high priority but we have to get over this
big hurdle first: "Pick a set of key improvements".

BTW the starting point for seeing the future plans is here:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Future_releases

Hopefully that gives you an idea of the status of forthcoming releases
and links to the past releases.

Let me know if that does not address your concerns.

Thanks,

Greg S