journal is hard (was Re: notes from the field - Mongolia)

NoiseEHC NoiseEHC at freemail.hu
Fri Oct 10 13:05:51 EDT 2008

> We can do a little better than that, actually, by making it all one
> prompt.  It can have a name field, already filled out with the best
> darn attempt at a name we can manage, a tag field (and perhaps even a
> list of popular tags as well, to apply to it with a click or a
> drag/drop), and buttons for [Erase] (Or [Don't Keep]?) and [Keep].

A little better solution would be if the words in the name would be
treated as tags and if the save "dialog" would offer autocomplete for
those tags. Tagging via the Journal could just set words to "super" tags
so they would not be shown in the name but would be handled "harder"
than "soft" tags in searching or in the proposed tag submenu thing. If
the user would type in the tag via autocompletion then it should be
treated as an explicit tag.

I am not sure if you can understand it so here is another try from the
opposite side:

The problem with tagging is that it is painful to select something on
the XO from a drop down menu (the list of available tags). (Note that
developing Sugar on a Linux PC is cheating...) The whole notion of
explicit tagging is also a nuisance and requiring tagging at save time
is painful. So this proposal just tries to simplify the process from the
user's perspective (and makes coding the Journal very very hard, but
since somebody other than me will code it I do not care...).
Autocompleting, not only tags but "soft" tags too, would result in that
if the user is doing some project lately then the system would offer him
the project's name since probably it would be used lately a lot. Also it
could be used for filesystem paths as well but probably I should see
that GNOME UI Hackfest video first.