sugar and the digital age (was Re: notes from the field - Mongolia)

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net
Thu Oct 9 05:16:14 EDT 2008

Hi Elana,

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 9:48 PM, elana langer <elana.langer at gmail.com> wrote:

> d) Although I think building a tagging tool around kids natural ways
> of thinking is really exciting, most teachers/schools/gov'ts are
> really concerned that this OS isn't preparing kids for the digital age
> properly. Most people feel it is important the computer meet some
> simple expectations that are common and understandable practices on
> any OS - like having files that can be saved and accessed in a simple
> place for example.

could you elaborate on what means for teachers/schools/govts to
prepare kids for the digital age? It may be that we are not giving
enough importance to that requirement (?).

[All: this topic is very broad and maybe controversial, please try to
keep the threads focused and spawn new ones when needed]

Greg, as OLPC's product manager, are we missing anything on that aspect?

Thanks,

Tomeu