notes from the field - Mongolia

Bastien bastienguerry at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 8 19:21:14 EDT 2008

Mikus Grinbergs <mikus at bga.com> writes:

>> Tagging isn't as much of an issue as being able to save files
>> to a USB key easily.
>
> I'm trying to think of why a kid would want to save files to a USB
> key.  Normally, except for off-loading objects to a school
> repository (a process about which I know nothing), 'files' would be
> kept at the XO itself, and not on removable storage devices.

Maybe we should not only think in terms of purposes, but also in terms
of causes: what makes children want to save files to USB stick?

What I've seen is that children wants to save to a USB stick because
they are told so by teachers, and teachers wants to save to a USB stick
because they often lost files and are afraid of losing more...

(I've not seen a school server in action, so I cannot discuss whether
saving to a USB looks safer for teachers/children than saving to a USB
stick.)

--
Bastien