5 sec boot

Deepak Saxena dsaxena at laptop.org
Mon Oct 6 17:49:29 EDT 2008

On Oct 05 2008, at 10:50, Jim Gettys was caught saying:
> On Sat, 2008-10-04 at 16:32 -1000, Mitch Bradley wrote:
>
> > I have considered something like that off and on.  It's sort of nice to
> > have a definite length for the images.  There are ways around that, but
> > they are a bit ugly at some level.  It's sort of a tossup at some level.
> >
> > One difficultly with having a lot of partitions is that it makes it more
> > likely that you will encounter the resizing issue.
> >

> Ubifs is built on the Ubi layer, which handles resizing (and does so in
> the face of flash errors).

UBI may handle resizeable volumes but I think for our use case, we
want static volume sizes.

> http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/doc/ubi.html#L_autoresize
>
> Then again, since ubifs mounts quickly, the largest reason for
> partitioning we've had (to reduce boot time) evaporates.  There may be
> other reasons to want partitioning, given dynamic resizing a'la lvm,
> however.
>
> If we go to non-bare flash, of course, other solutions will have to be
> found.

We'll still need to support existing deployed laptops so I see the
what type of flash do we use in future updates problem as orthogonal
to replacing the filesystem on current HW.

~Deepak

Deepak Saxena - Kernel Developer - dsaxena at laptop.org