UBIFS todo

Deepak Saxena dsaxena at laptop.org
Mon Oct 6 17:46:58 EDT 2008

[cc:ing devel to keep everyone in the loop]

On Oct 06 2008, at 13:01, Erik Garrison was caught saying:
> 1) drop ubifs module into initramfs
>
> 2) take initramfs and build ubifs image of / into redboot partitioned image

I'm working on the updates to the initramfs, getting a kernel image,
and a script that will take a tar.bz2 of a given build and turn it
into the appropriate ubi + jffs2 images which can then be fed into
your script [1] to generate the proper bits for the OFW flash
updater [2]. I hope to have all this done by late this week and
have a booting 8.2 running UBI.

This will just be a 32MiB jffs2 with the rest of the flash devoted to
the system partition.

Beyond that, other work that needs to be done:

- Get ubi-utils into our buildsystem so that we can use it for building
  official UBI images. This means either doing our own builds, or
  preferrably, packaging it into fedora as an official package.

- Update our official biuld scripts with my script above and your script
  so that we can spit out UBI images at build time.

- Figure out a proper partitioning scheme. I don't think just having
  a boot partition one UBI volume are what we want to do for long term
  and I'll outline reasoning and proposal in another email.

- Add UBI support to OFW. I keep being convinced that this is not
  needed, but if we want to support flashing over an existing UBI
  image, I think we really want to do it the right way and not loose
  the UBI metadata between updates. Mitch, your thoughts here?

- Figure out how to handle the case of upgrading from 8.x to
  a UBI-enabled 9.x.

> 3) test
>
> repeat on errors.

[1] http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=users/erik/olpc-image-tools;a=summary