OFW trackpad test woes

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Mon Oct 6 00:02:43 EDT 2008

rihoward1 at gmail.com wrote:

> I suggest that item 3. be release noted then.
>
> By the way if an Alps trackpad goes bad will it be possible to swap
> in a Synaptics track pad or is that physically impossible

Care was taken to make sure that electrical compatibility was
maintained.  The new units plug up to the same connector and the only
difference is software.  This has been verified.

Mechanical wise there are some differences but for spare parts we needed
be able to put a new kbc+touchpad in to older machines.  Various plastic
parts also have to swap to allow that to happen.

To date all the retrofits involve a good bit of mechanical hacking.   We
should have new pre-build machines with the new plastics at 1cc in the
near future and can see how well it works in practice.  I'm not saying
it works until I see it but thats what we were striving for.

--
Richard Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child