5 sec boot

Mitch Bradley wmb at laptop.org
Sun Oct 5 14:10:39 EDT 2008

Memory to memory copy: 500 MB/s
Raw NAND FLASH read:    20 MB/s
Security hash:           4 MB/s

So overlapping hash calculation with NAND FLASH read is of limited
value, and trying to overlap anything with memory copy is almost
certainly counterproductive.

This discussion seem to be degenerating into a brainstorming session
about an sub-problem that is pretty well under control (the firmware
component of the boot time).  I've been working diligently on that
sub-problem for nearly 2 years now, and I think I have an excellent
grasp of where the cycles are going and what can be done to improve it.
The only significant opportunity at this point is to reduce the JFFS2
time, which will require either partitioning or abandoning JFFS2 for the
boot files, or both.  UBI+UBIFS is one workable approach in the context
of a Linux-only machine.  There are some others, such as Redboot
partitions with a small boot partition and a large system partition,
with various FS possibilities for the two partitions.  The quickest path
to a deliverable system would be Redboot + JFFS2 boot partition + UBI
system partition.

The rest of the "fruit" on the tree is solidly in the OS domain,
encompassing kernel startup, userland startup/initscripts, X startup,
and Sugar / application startup.  I would encourage each of you to
address the areas in which you have special expertise, and then to take
action.