5 sec boot

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Sun Oct 5 10:50:21 EDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-10-04 at 16:32 -1000, Mitch Bradley wrote:

> I have considered something like that off and on.  It's sort of nice to
> have a definite length for the images.  There are ways around that, but
> they are a bit ugly at some level.  It's sort of a tossup at some level.
>
> One difficultly with having a lot of partitions is that it makes it more
> likely that you will encounter the resizing issue.

Ubifs is built on the Ubi layer, which handles resizing (and does so in
the face of flash errors).

http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/doc/ubi.html#L_autoresize

Then again, since ubifs mounts quickly, the largest reason for
partitioning we've had (to reduce boot time) evaporates.  There may be
other reasons to want partitioning, given dynamic resizing a'la lvm,
however.

If we go to non-bare flash, of course, other solutions will have to be
found.
                          - Jim

--
Jim Gettys <jg at laptop.org>