Devel Digest, Vol 32, Issue 11

Mitch Bradley wmb at laptop.org
Sat Oct 4 06:51:08 EDT 2008

> From: Mikus Grinbergs <mikus at bga.com>
> Subject: OFW should turn off microphone
> To: devel at lists.laptop.org
>
> Noticed there's a new q2e19.  But it, like its predecessors, leaves
> the microphone "alive" (to be turned off, at about the fourth dot,
> by the loading of the os).

No.

The only case in which OFW turns on the microphone is during an
explicitly-invoked selftest operation - a test-all from the keyboard or
the game button, or "test /audio".  That is not part of the normal boot
sequence.

The microphone light does come on during the OS startup sequence.  It
appears to correspond to the point at which the codec driver is
initialized and some ALSA messages appear.  On one of my machines, with
OS build 703, the light blinks on briefly then goes back off almost
immediately.  On another one, with build 759, it stays on for several
seconds.

> I deliberately avoid saying anything while the XO boots, in case it
> is surreptitiously recording me.  But I *wish* OFW

I *wish* people wouldn't jump to conclusions about which software
component is responsible for a given problem.