[Techteam] Major power concern

C. Scott Ananian cscott at cscott.net
Fri Oct 3 12:16:34 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 7:58 PM, Chris Ball <cjb at laptop.org> wrote:
> From devel@:
>   > Test 1 - default 765 image
>   >     Estimated time = ~2 1/2 - 3hrs
>
>   > Test 3 - default 711 image
>   >     Estimated time = 4-5 hrs
>
> We'll need to set up tests with 765/767/711 tomorrow to see whether this
> is true.  We should suspect #8711, but Pia says she didn't launch any
> activities.

I'm not convinced that the testing methodology is sound: the machines
should be fully charged, with the same battery, and times taken until
fully discharged (until poweroff).  Trusting the battery's charge
monitor circuit's percentage is just Wrong, and extrapolating that to
a run time is Doubly Wrong.  You're just compounding estimates, which
are based on the battery's own rough knowledge of previous
performance.

Also, there was some suspicion that hovering over the battery icon in
767 could itself be leading to greater battery consumption -- the
popup menu for the battery is not present in 711; it would be best to
eliminate that uncertainty as well.
 --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )