"Walter Bender": Re: devkeys, prettyboot, and G1G1

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 01:44:46 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 1:59 PM, John Gilmore <gnu at olpc-support.toad.com> wrote:
> I see this is utterly backwards.  The countries that want $feature on their
> laptops should be paying the price in support problems and
> infrastructure.

I've edited your quote a bit. G1G1 participants support us is many
ways, one of them being early users of many features that are mainly
targetted to our XO users in deployment/pilot countries. The DRM stuff
is a feature of many that falls within this list.

That's all I wanted to clarify, _many_ things on G1G1 are not there
for the G1G1 donors, and would be hard to justify if we looked at them
as primary targets. So this is not 'backwards', it's our modus
operandi. You can argue for an exception here -- perhaps this feature
is specially painful or burdensome for G1G1.

Let's keep the perspective straight.

Note: I don't have an opinion either way WRT DRM on G1G1 machines, and
haven't participated in any discussions about it, so not familiar with
the arguments pro and against.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions