"Walter Bender": Re: devkeys, prettyboot, and G1G1

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Fri Oct 3 01:08:56 EDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 12:27:48AM -0400, John Watlington wrote:

>How about providing dev. keys for G1G1 laptops with
>no delay ?    Would you consider it an improvement ?

I would consider it a mediocre usability improvement in exchange for a
moderate security risk -- it fails to permit any simplification of the
testing instructions while permanently increasing the opportunity for
Murphy to strike by causing us to treat some SNs separately from others
and by removing opportunity for review and intervention. At best, it
provides 'instant gratification' by taking the currently manual process
of 'asking for your devkey quickly' to its logical extreme. On the other
hand, I suppose it's worth considering since it's "only" an
administrative change.

Do you have a different analysis of its merits? Do you weigh the risk of
autogenerating devkeys for stolen laptops differently than I do?

Michael