[support-gang] G1G1 upgrade question I've received

pgf at laptop.org pgf at laptop.org
Fri Nov 28 10:49:14 EST 2008

michael wrote:
 > On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 10:21:01AM -0500, pgf at laptop.org wrote:
 > >michael wrote:
 > > > Just for the record, people using the 'olpc-update --usb' offline update
 > > > method are probably going to want to use an 8.2 customization stick,
 > > > e.g. the one archived in the 'gg-767-4.zip' file alongside the g1g1
 > > > composite image on download.laptop.org, to get recent activities.
 > >
 > >i wonder if we could come up with some boilerplate text that could
 > >be displayed at the top of our download pages that could explain
 > >what each file type is, and how one would use it.
 > >
 > >i.e., it seems we could make this:
 > >    http://download.laptop.org/xo-1/custom/g1g1/gg-767-4/
 > >or this:
 > >    http://download.laptop.org/xo-1/os/official/767/jffs2/
 > >a lot more user-friendly.
 >
 > Sure, but we could more easily pull the necessary links into a wiki page
 > for each release and transclude it into the appropriate release notes. :)

maybe.  but a README would be pretty easy.  i think there's value
in some simple text that lists all the various formats in which a
given release is available, along with a hint as to how each
should be used.  if that's what you're picturing, i'm all for it.

wikis aren't necessarily the shortest path to what one's
searching for.  case in point:  i found the first link above by
googling for "gg-767-4.zip", based on your mail.  i found the
second by url surfing.  along the way i found the peru images,
and the ext3 images.  i never touched the wiki, and if i had, i
doubt the connections between those various lists of 767 images
would have been as transparent as they were the way i did it.

paul
 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org
 give one laptop, get one laptop --- http://www.amazon.com/xo