New touchpad still has some jumpyness

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Tue Nov 25 20:56:44 EST 2008

On Tue, 2008-11-25 at 18:54 -0500, Richard A. Smith wrote:
> During SJ's demo meeting today at 1cc I used my test machine with the
> new touchpad.
> The touchpad on my laptop is much deeper inset than
> I still experienced jumpyness.   However, a much different jumpyness
> than what happens with the alps device.  In my case it appears to happen
> if the tip of my thumb gets up into the active area. (Creepage from
> using it to click thThe touchpad on my laptop is much deeper inset than
> e X button)   What I saw was the cursor would leap to the edge of the
> screen which is similar to what happens with the current pad, but unlike
> the current pad its does not continue to leap around. It a one shot and
> then returns to normal movement.  This happened to me several times.
>
> So then I played with my HP laptop which also has a synaptics touchpad
> and I'm able to duplicate the same behavior.

It's worth a gander at the upstream synaptics driver; I've seen some
patches go by recently.

> So even with the new touchpad we still may have to have some sort of
> criteria for discarding packets with large deltas for the movement.
>
> By default in mouse mode the values reported by the device are relative.
>   So some sort of edge effect must confuse the controller.  I need to
> enable some logging and see what data the device actually sent.
>
> I've also noticed that the acceleration of the new touchpad is much less
> than the alps device.  When you switch from new to old the you can
> really tell.  We should reduce the acceleration of the cursor for the
> alps device. Its not necessary to be that fast.

Yeah, the acceleration stuff in X sucks.  Fixed in next release, IIRC
(after something like 20 years...)....

> Is that something we can set defaults for in the X config or do we have
> to detect what touchpad we are running?

Unfortunately, we'll have to detect it.  This whole are of X is being
reworked as we speak....  Upstream, everything is hot plug, and you can
then set things on a per detected device basis.
                              - Jim

--
Jim Gettys <jg at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child