x11vnc and vncviewer for classroom

Ian Daniher it.daniher at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 20:56:00 EST 2008

To be honest, I've had the best luck with microsoft terminal services in so
far as the thin client area goes - I use my XO day to day with my school's
remote desktop server and it works flawlessly - the fonts are a bit tiny,
but it works with no noticeable speed difference between it and a desktop.
Why wasn't this approach considered instead of putting XP on XOs?

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 7:58 PM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 08:52:12PM +0530, Arjun Sarwal wrote:
> > I was wondering if someone could comment on the performance when I
> > have about 30 X0s connected to the same ?
>
> Maybe a refresh once every 15 seconds?
>
> I've just tried this.  Ran x11vnc -viewonly -shared -forever on a Debian
> desktop, 1600x1200, and used krdc on a couple of XOs.  In high quality
> mode, krdc repaints took up to two seconds when a major screen change
> happened.  But in low quality mode the repaint was about a fifth of a
> second.  So I have not reproduced your "once about every one second".
>
> You are using point to point networking.  As long as the bandwidth of
> the shared medium (the RF) is not hit, then it should continue to scale.
> The bandwidth depends on x11vnc options chosen, and on what changes are
> made to the teaching image.  There are ways to specify to x11vnc what
> bandwidth to use for the clients.  You should only need to add the right
> option to ensure you do not fill the RF bandwidth.  See the -speeds
> option.  4619 lines of man page.  Wow.
>
> There's an opportunity here to look for ways to multicast VNC updates.
> I'm not sure of what is available for this.
>
> --
> James Cameron    mailto:quozl at us.netrek.org     http://quozl.netrek.org/

Ian Daniher
--