G1G1-2008 US machines delivered with 8.1 build 708, not with 8.2 build 767

S Page info at skierpage.com
Thu Nov 20 01:06:10 EST 2008

Interesting...
So the wiki can't assume new users have 8.2, that means a lot of pages
will need separate "Latest release / Earlier releases" sections and/or
encourage users to upgrade.

I wonder how many users with 8.1 will visit
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities and download more recent activities
that are incompatible with 8.1.  That Activities page's text seems wrong:

   This is a snapshot of the activities included on the list as of the
launch of G1G1, not a list of all activities known to work on release
8.2.0. These activities are pre-installed in machines received through
the Give One Get One program.

Does the 8.1 build on the early G1G1 2008 laptops have, e.g. the Help
activity?  (Which I thought is the 8.2.0 user manual.)  Someone who
definitively knows should update that page.  Is there a downloadable
image of what's on those laptops anywhere?

Ed McNierney wrote:

> Thanks for supporting the G1G1 program with your purchases!  This year it
> was extremely important for us to have Amazon stocked with inventory so
> orders could be fulfilled and delivered right away, the first day of the
> program.  That meant that manufacturing actually had to begin before 8.2 was
> released; the machines being manufactured now have 8.2 built in, but the
> first G1G1 buyers will be receiving the first manufactured machines.
>
> You can find instructions on upgrading and information about the 8.2 release
> on our wiki at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/8.2.0

I added a mildly edited version of this to
<http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Giving#Frequently_Asked_Questions>

I also mention it in passing on
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Getting_started , which assumes users have the
excellent Help activity.

"Getting started" is where the wiki navigation's "About the XO > Help
using the XO" goes; I'm not sure what other places on the wiki new G1G1
users hit first.

Ton,
What's the model number of your new machine?  (`olpc-netstatus -i`) ?

--
=S Page