[Server-devel] suggest new mailing lists for OLPC

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 13:03:18 EST 2008

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 11:16 AM, Bill Bogstad <bogstad at pobox.com> wrote:
> Can I suggest  instead a new mailing list for server SUPPORT be
> created as opposed to DEVELOPMENT?  And what about doing XO support on
> commmunity-support rather then devel? I think that both server-devel
> and devel are used too often for things that they shouldn't be.

Don't let the names confuse you. You want to have the developers in
the same place as users, otherwise you're going to

 - get bad answers in the 'support' list, as the real experts are elsewhere
 - get developers out of touch with real issues

It's all about fostering a good, positive community around the school
server. It's _not_ about labels. If you want, I'm happy to support
renaming 'server-devel' to 'server'.

Even for large communities, it's more positive and productive to split
things along interest lines than across "users" and "developers".

cheers,

martin moonlights-as-sociologist langhoff
 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions