keyboard

Ties Stuij cjstuij at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 13:05:57 EST 2008

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 9:07 PM, Tony Anderson <tony_anderson at usa.net> wrote:
>     I am writing some python code which needs to interrogate the system
> to determine which keyboard layout is currently selected. The goal is to
> show an image of the keyboard for Nepali students with a US keyboard. I
> checked /home/olpc/.i18n but this does not change with the % x key.
> Anyone know how that can be determined?

Hmm, I must confess I don't know what the % x key is.
If no, or before, a more elegant solution surfaces, you can always
grep through the 'setxkbmap -print' output, as Google told me.

setxkbmap -print | grep xkb_symbols | sed 's|.*+\([^"]\+\)(.*|\1|'

will print 'us' on my XO.
If you've got it set to 'us' of course.

/Ties