Greg Smith's Weekly Report

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 12:25:19 EST 2008

Overview:

We are collecting all well formed ideas for future development at:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap

Add your suggestions to that page. In the near future we will start
prioritizing them and choosing the target set for inclusion in the next
release, 9.1.0.

Product management and support now have regular calls and a tight
synchronization with the technical teams in Uruguay and Peru. We are
working with them to qualify 8.2 for their deployments and to track
their feature requests for future releases.

The agenda for a technical conference in January is being set at:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XOcamp_2. The first review of all proposals
should be done by next week. Next, we will create detailed materials and
pick lead presenters for each session.

******************
User links:

Link of the week (Spanish):
http://ceibalflorida.blogspot.com/search/label/etoys
Shows eToys presentations built in Uruguay. See also the "Blogósfera"
link on the right. Blog posts by XOs in Uruguay have taken off again in
the last month!

Link of the week (English):
http://blog.olenepal.org/index.php/archives/321
US University-style evaluation of the XO deployment in Nepal.

*****************
Goals and to do list.

Status of last weeks goals:

1 - Continue prioritization of January Mini-conference proposals and
start filling in next level of detail for each.

GS - Underway. Meeting every Wed. at 2PM US ET on IRC freenode.net
#olpc-meeting to review proposals.

2 - Update roadmap page: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap
Follow up with deployments to verify priorities. Get a second level of
detail from deployments on what they need.

GS - Partially done. Focusing on the Activation Lease Security:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap#Activation_lease_security
Now drilling down on top priorities for largest deployments.

Everyone, please add your feature ideas. Each should have a Requirement
Definition, some software design comments (AKA Specification), target
users and engineering or product management owners. Any of the above can
be URLs to web pages, Trac IDs, or e-mail threads. Put me down as
interim owner if no one else is available.

3 - Start writing detailed use cases, complete ideas for using XO/XS
(probably a requirements definition for supporting "learning projects"),
and presentations for mini-conference.

GS - Not done. Top priority is Asynchronous collaboration (AKA
multi-user projects)
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap#Asynchronous_collaboration

Goals for next week:

1 - Finish first review of January mini-conference proposals. Transition
conference work to follow up and status only. Add agenda items to weekly
Future Feature planning meeting (Wed. at 2PM US ET on IRC freenode.net
#olpc-meeting) to prioritize full feature roadmap and decide how we will
pick 9.1.0 target features.

2 -  Update roadmap page: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap
Follow up with deployments to verify priorities. Get a second level of
detail from deployments on what they need.

3 - Start writing detailed use cases, complete ideas for using XO/XS
(probably a requirements definition for supporting "learning projects"),
and presentations for mini-conference.

Other:
Inspired by Greg D's recent comments on creating team, I'm thinking of
starting a roadmap team which will work on the Feature roadmap page and
strategy. We already have a weekly meeting, minutes and action items.
All we need now is a wiki page and a better todo list! I'll send out
more details and URLs on that soon.

Questions and comments welcome.

Thanks,

Greg S