[sugar] Wrapping Sugar activities for other desktops

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpgritti at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 17:03:03 EST 2008

On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 10:56 PM, Benjamin M. Schwartz
<bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
> There are two issues here:
> 1.  I don't know how the inner workings are designed, but as a Python
> activity author I never have to write a datastore call.  My impression is
> that the Journal asks Rainbow's launcher service to start the activity
> with a particular object-id.  The launcher service starts the activity,
> loads the file from the Journal, and then calls the activity's read_file()
> method on the resulting filename.

Yeah, the Activity class has high level read_file/write_file methods
which could be probably replaced with a non-datastore implementation.
But not all activities are using the high level API.

> 2.  I'm not suggesting that we "work without a datastore/journal".  I am
> suggesting that the sugar-wrapper will instantiate a D-Bus daemon that
> provides the datastore API.

Ok. But afaict that's not what Martin is proposing here.

Using the datastore and providing a Journal view would be certainly
the most straigth forward implementation, but the level of integration
with the rest of desktop would be very low. Maybe it's fine until we
get a POSIX compatible datastore though?

Marco