Bitfrost and dual-boot

Arne Babenhauserheide arne_bab at web.de
Thu May 29 19:07:30 EDT 2008

Am Donnerstag 29 Mai 2008 23:58:04 schrieben Sie:
> Yes, you did (where have you been hiding =) ). Windows will come
> preinstalled on XO's at the client's request. And in developing countries
> the paying clients (ministries of eductaion, etc.) receive technical advice
> and counsel mostly from Microsoft.

But that's "at the clients request" (fits what I remembered), which will come
at a quickly reducing rate, when Windows corrupts GNU/Linux, at least I hope
so.

It's not "in all", and it certainly isn't something which can't be fixed
easily by anyone owning an XO.

And it will be children who use the XO, and they can fix their XOs themselves,
so the "counselled" ministries should not be able to restrict the use of XOs.
There's a lot of development potential in the users of the XOs, and
harnessing that for the free platform should hopefully make Windows
unattractive.

I think it's better not to implement anything which can protect GNU/Linux from
Windows, because Windows could use the same for the parts it corrupts.

That naturally shouldn't stop thinking about it to be a step ahead of Windows
and to be able to avoid the danger of people getting stuck with any
proprietary OS by means of some kind of "protection" originally meant to
avoid that danger.

It's just that, in my humble opinion, any mechanism which might limit the
software which can be installed on an XO by its user should be checked
thrice, and then in most cases discarded.

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein
Heißt politisch sein

-- Weblog: http://blog.draketo.de
-- Infinite Hands: http://infinite-hands.draketo.de - singing a part of the
history of free software.
-- Ein Würfel System: http://1w6.org - einfach sauberere (Rollenspiel-) Regeln

-- Mein öffentlicher Schlüssel (PGP/GnuPG):
http://draketo.de/inhalt/ich/pubkey.txt