Video from last week's country meetings.

Carol Lerche cafl at msbit.com
Thu May 29 15:14:59 EDT 2008

As to the ppt conversions, it seemed to me that some of the slides had
layers overlaid on other layers in the wrong order, obscuring what was
written underneath.  Perhaps you could just post the ppt files as well as
the pdf you converted it to?  Did any slides use special effects, e.g. small
overlays?  Such things don't convert well to pdf.

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 10:02 AM, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at laptop.org>
wrote:

> On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 2:49 PM, Yoshiki Ohshima <yoshiki at vpri.org> wrote:
> > At Mon, 26 May 2008 14:58:06 -0400,
> > C. Scott Ananian wrote:
> >> I've now encoded and uploaded video from all of last Tuesday's talks;
> >> links at the url above.  Hopefully I will be able to get a copy of the
> >  Thank you!  However, the video part of Alan Kay's talk is frozen at
> > one point and never comes back.  Is it possible to resurrect it?
>
> And Edward Cherlin wrote:
> >I got to see only short bits of Nicholas's presentations, using Gnash on
> Ubuntu. The others I tried seemed to be complete.
> > The slide decks are very badly formatted, with text running off the
> pages, and remarkably uninformative.
> > Alan Kay's presentation is one of the best I have ever seen. Thanks.
>
> Please let me know the exact URL you had trouble viewing, and
> double-check the sizes against the index listing on
>
> http://download.laptop.org/content/conf/20080520-country-wkshp/Video/2008-05-20/
> to ensure you have the whole file.  There are multiple versions of
> each talk, and it's possible that I goofed encoding some of them, but
> it's tedious for me to view them all (again!) to figure out which one
> you might have been having problems with.  The source DVD seems to be
> complete, so I should be able to correct any problems you find.
>
> If you originally downloaded the files before Tuesday, you might also
> try redownloading them, as you may have been seeing partial files
> before then.
>
> Finally, the .ppt files posted at
>
> http://download.laptop.org/content/conf/20080520-country-wkshp/Presentations/
> are in most cases the originals.  I converted them to PDF in
> OpenOffice, but I didn't have time (or the Microsoft software) to
> verify that the PDF conversions were accurate.  In at least some
> cases, the .ppts seem to have been saved without the images they
> referenced.
>
> If people are willing to do the work to determine exactly which files
> have which problems (and/or give me better PDF/ogg/swf conversions
> where OpenOffice/gstreamer/ffmpeg is falling down on the job) I'll
> pester the people involved for missing bits and update the versions on
> download.laptop.org.
>
> On the other hand, I can't help it if the slides for some of the talks
> are uninformative =).  (Actually, I'm already doing what I can, which
> is trying to get video to supplement the slides.)
>
> Unsplit DVD-format video for Wed, Thurs, and Fri should be ready on
> Monday (I'm told); it will probably take another few days after that
> to get it encoded in more viewer-friendly formats.
>  --scott
>
> --
>  ( http://cscott.net/ )

"Always do right," said Mark Twain. "This will gratify some people and
astonish the rest."