OLPC: Open Organized Transparent

C. Scott Ananian cscott at cscott.net
Tue May 27 21:47:33 EDT 2008

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 8:05 PM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> p.s. a @laptop.org address does not imply I am paid by OLPC.  It is an
> address that lets me participate more directly, that's all.

Let me try to head off another charge of cabalism here before it is
alleged: there is no special privilege granted with a @laptop.org
address.  You don't get invited to secret OLPC planning meetings if
you've got a @laptop.org address.  There's no secret handshake or
secret priority given to the features that scratch your itch.  Rather,
we have in the past given @laptop.org addresses to members of the
community who have made significant contributions to OLPC, both as
recognition of their work as well as out of sheer laziness on our
part: it's a lot easier to just type username at laptop.org than to try
to remember the personal domains of all the non-OLPC contributors.

Quozl's "participate more directly" means that he's been a contributor
since the first A-test boards (far long than I've been involved with
OLPC) and he's earned a spot as a go-to guy when we need help.  (See
http://wiki.laptop.org/index.php?title=User:Quozl&oldid=77199 and
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Special:Contributions/Quozl and (my
favorite) http://wiki.laptop.org/go/MotionDetection).
 --scott