XO-2 software plans

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Mon May 26 16:33:46 EDT 2008

On 5/25/08, NoiseEHC <NoiseEHC at freemail.hu> wrote:
> There was a thread about the X driver here:
>  http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2007-September/006565.html
>
>  Because there were much more pressing things to do than rewriting the X
>  driver by Bernardo this project stalled.
>  However it is one of my project ideas on the developer program so
>  hopefully one day any program will be able to use the hardware scaler of
>  the CPU.
>  (Of course the documentation does not mention if the scaler is faster or
>  not, or does it trash the cache as software copying so it must be
>  measured...)
>
>  Jim!
>  Could you be a bit more specific than "Profiling is in order." please?
>  What is currently happening and will it make moot my efforts? Thanks!

Nothing is happening; please *always* just do the work and don't worry
about "making moot your efforts" since that's the path we've followed
in the past which leads to stalling and not actually getting needed
tasks done.  Bird in the hand worth two in the bush, and all that.

That said, "profiling is in order" is definitely on target: it seems
the first step would be for you to determine how much time is
currently being spent in the software scaler.  If that number is very
low, it's probably not worth spending the effort to optimize it.  But
I don't know whether that's the case.  So, step 1: is this currently a
performance bottleneck?
 --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )