[sugar] [IAEP] OLPC's bizarre behaviors

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Fri May 23 23:46:48 EDT 2008

On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 3:16 PM, Albert Cahalan <acahalan at gmail.com> wrote:
> You ended up with

Lots of accusations :-( Have you successfully negotiated with hw
vendors over innovative gear at very low cost in the past?

We do make mistakes, and in some cases there are tradeoffs. It's part
of doing R&D and bring that to market. Grandstanding about the
mistakes made cheap, with the advantage that most people aren't
familiar with the issues at hand.

Yes, we could have alternatives for every bit of the device - if we
had infinite time. Everything else is a tradeoff.

> How can I show you that something is a bad idea?

Showing us a better one. And explaining things carefully, in measured
terms definitely helps. If you do have an important point to make, and
someone doesn't seem to understand it, a bit pf patience and extra
explanation might help. If it's not worth a 2nd attempt at explaining
it, it's probably not that important.

IOWs, there's so much trolling 'round here that just being considerate
earns lots of attention points.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions