[IAEP] [sugar] OLPC's bizarre behaviors

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Fri May 23 18:46:08 EDT 2008

On 5/23/08, Jim Gettys <jg at laptop.org> wrote:
>  Note that we *cannot* share much of the information about the possible
>  alternatives we are examining for Gen-2 hardware until decisions are
>  final; it is the basis of serious negotiations among competing parties,
>  under non-disclosure agreements.

Lest rumors of more OLPC secrets get started, let me clarify that much
of this information is related to processor and chipset choices,
battery and power specs, display technology, etc, etc.  These
critically depend on vendors, prices, contracts, and protracted
negotiation.  We'll let you know those details as soon as the
contracts are signed.

But most of the discussion so far here on devel@ has been about
software issues and big-picture design, and there's no reason that
needs to be under wraps.  As always in software discussions, working
code is the best argument.  I hope that as a community we'll move
beyond hot air to demos and code at some point.  The best way to show
that a touch screen keyboard is workable, for example, is to try to
build one.  Ditto for alternative input mechanisms, gestures and
multitouch, etc, etc.  If you think we should do X, Y, or Z, show us
why it's a good idea.
 --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )