XO-2 software plans

Andres Salomon dilinger at queued.net
Thu May 22 19:28:58 EDT 2008

On Thu, 22 May 2008 15:17:02 -0700
John Gilmore <gnu at toad.com> wrote:

> > What are the software plans for the second-generation XO?

[...]
> If they'd put me in charge, I'd make sure it wasn't an x86 CPU, so
> this pesky Windows nonsense wouldn't come up.  Nobody argues that a
> non-x86 has to run "Windows CE to prepare students for business
> cellphone use".  If you've interacted with a few farm animals, you

If they put me in charge, I'd choose whichever CPU had the best
performance, lowest power consumption, and lowest price - regardless
of architecture.

Amusingly, Jordan was just telling me that the Windows people say
similar things: "We can't make a set top box with x86, someone will try
to put Linux on it!"