XO-2 software plans

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Thu May 22 18:31:04 EDT 2008

On 5/22/08, John Gilmore <gnu at toad.com> wrote:
> > What are the software plans for the second-generation XO?
>  First they need to build one out of something other than modeling clay
>  and Photoshop.
[...]
>  current touchpad can do "tap to click" (ticket #959).  But developers
>  and users of devices built between now and then will write most of the
>  software needed.  The free software ecosystem will save the day again.

It's certainly true that we can't do it alone.  It's also true that we
couldn't even consider doing XO-2 if it weren't for the fantastic work
already done on multitouch and multi-pointer X.  I'm excited that
Sugar is being packaged for other linux distros now, and I hope OLPC's
software will gradually seem less and less unusual.  We will continue
to try new things, and I hope the free software community helps us
push the envelope.
 --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )