OLPC's bizarre behaviors

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Thu May 22 17:41:02 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 2:29 PM, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at laptop.org> wrote:
> On 5/22/08, John R. Hogerhuis <jhoger at pobox.com> wrote:
>> You don't need a person to keep the community in the loop if the community fora
>>  (as opposed to the water cooler and the hallway) are *religiously* maintained as
>>  being the loop.
>
> And who does that maintenance?
>  --scott

Everybody at 1cc. For the people outside 1cc this rule enforces
itself. There is no backchannel. For the small set of people inside,
they must police themselves.

The rule would be, if it doesn't happen on the mailing list or IRC,
then it doesn't happen.

It works for software, anyway, as can be seen in pure open source
projects. There's a little bit of backchannel direct emails but the
policy is to quickly push the discussion to the mailing list.

I can't say this would work for hardware given ECR/ECO process but
with enough thought, probably possible.

-- John.