olpc fedora build source code

Paul Fox pgf at foxharp.boston.ma.us
Tue May 20 16:39:43 EDT 2008

michael wrote:
 > On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 02:59:59PM -0400, Paul Fox wrote:
 > > it's not clear (to me) from the Build_system page linked above
 > > where the final contents of a give release is determined.
 >
 > The determination is usually made by yum as it is run from pilgrim on
 > either xs-dev.laptop.org or pilgrim.laptop.org. We sometimes attempt to
 > influence yum's decision by controlling what RPMs it sees.
 >
 > > it's clearly not just a concatenation of all of the dropboxes (or is
 > > it?).  i.e., where's the final master list -- is that pilgrim?
 >
 > The 'master list' is stored in the git repository I pointed you to on
 > mock.laptop.org.

okay -- for some reason i was picturing a picklist, or bill-of-materials
sort of thing.  i understand now.  that repository _is_ the list.  (unless
i'm again misunderstanding.)

 > > also, how would one find the tree representing the source of an
 > > arbitrary SRPM?
 >
 > I don't think I understand your question - the SRPMs contain the
 > "complete" sources for the RPMs they generate. You extract the contents
 > of RPMs with a suitable "rpm2cpio -> cpio" pipeline (nicely wrapped up
 > in rpmdev-extract from rpmdevtools in Fedora).

i understand that they're the released source.  but SRPM is an
archive format, not a working format, and i was looking for the
development tree, which includes change history, diffs, recent (i.e.,
since the SRPM) changes, etc.

 > > i suspect i can figure it out for the fedora
 > > packages, but for the local packages, is there any sort of
 > > backlink from the dropboxes to the development trees that they
 > > come from?
 >
 > The dropbox system produces ChangeLogs which are captured in the mock
 > repo. See
 >
 >   http://mock.laptop.org/gitweb/?p=repos;a=blob;f=ChangeLog;hb=local.update1
 >
 > for a simple example. There is no explicit link backward from
 > dropbox-supplied SRPMs to development trees.

okay.  that's an answer.  :-)

 > > (i've answered the specific question i had today, regarding
 > > whether a certain fix was in the x11 evdev code, but unpacking
 > > the SRPM seemed like more work than it should have been to find
 > > something simple.)
 >
 > Mitch made a related comment to me a few days ago. Here's the rough idea
 > he inspired:
 >
 >   1. We can unpack every SRPM once into a common directory.
 >      See http://dev.laptop.org/~mstone/sources/scripts/extract-source
 >      for some rough unpacking logic.
 >
 >   2. We can make a dir for each build and fill it with symlinks to the
 >      source code that went into it. We'll probably need to parse the
 >      build-logs for that. Code welcome.

why would it be necessary to parse the build logs?  (i think this goes
back to my "where's the master list?" question.)

 >   3. We can stick a navigation overlay on top of it. See
 >      http://dev.laptop.org/~daf/sources/sources.py for the sketch of the
 >      idea. (Alternately, we can give out accounts on the hosting machine
 >      and rely on grep.)
 >
 > Would this help?

while this might well be useful, it's not quite what i was
looking for, at least not today.  (but it may be that i was looking
for the wrong thing.  :-)

i suspect this will all become more transparent (to me) over time.

thanks,
paul