[sugar] Activities Portal: Proposal/suggestion

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Mon May 19 14:55:48 EDT 2008

I know I've tossed this out several times before, but I do so again to
be sure its in the backs of everyone's minds, at least once.  I think
the idea of creating an "appcast", or an RSS feed with enclosures for
bundles/updates, could be a clean way to handle the backend for such a
service.  Obviously, any number of websites could aggregate these, or
display them with various UIs, but it might not need to be entirely
centralized.

I /really/ want to push forward the idea of a button within the UI for
"getting more activities".  I encourage everyone to consider this use
case as well when thinking about such a portal.  This button will
probably, in most cases, connect kids to the school server as a first
level repository, but could just as easily connect to any such
appcast, at the school, city, country, or even global level.  If we
actually support one or more of these feeds, then these all serve as
sources for activity (and content?) bundles which can be displayed
directly within the UI, in whatever interface suits, rather than
requiring kids to go to this or that website.

This technique can also be used to notify kids of updates to existing
activities.  Also, for what it's worth, one could foresee the
capability of an activity such as Develop to set up local appcasts for
activities that kids create as well; there could be one feed for all
of Jimmy's activities.  From this perspective, no server is even
needed at all for "get more activities" to have some meaning, because
the feed could come from others on the mesh as well.

- Eben