XP on OLPC - a contrarian view

Carol Lerche cafl at msbit.com
Sat May 17 17:11:43 EDT 2008

That is exactly what happened in my daughter's class.  Scenario is:  small
child experiences a problem.  Adult is supervising multiple children and
answering questions, unable to spend 5 minutes focussing on one child's
wedged XO.  Rebooting deterministically recovers from problems (resets to a
known state) without much adult time taken to initiate the reboot.  So one
child must twiddle thumbs during a long reboot.

Some of the builds have reboots that rival the reboot times of old
mainframes.  :-)

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 1:42 PM, John R.Hogerhuis <jhoger at pobox.com> wrote:

> Sameer Verma <sverma <at> sfsu.edu> writes:
> >
> > Yeah, its probably #1. Boot up times become moot if children simply rely
> > on suspend and resume with topping up the battery whenever possible. Its
> > the actual performance of the environment that really matters.
> >

> I would say both are important in a classroom setting, though UI
> responsiveness
> is more important.
>
> Even with Ubuntu on my Thinkpad laptop I do have the occasional lockup or
> need
> for reboot. If a kid is working on a collaborative activity and on top of
> the
> time it takes to notice and react to the freeze/lockup you need to spend
> another
> minute or so rebooting, that time comes directly out of productive learning
> time. And, in his frustration he may need help which could stop the whole
> train
> until the issue is dealt with. I think in classrooms full of 20-30 kids,
> that
> happening enough to notice is a significant probability.
>
> -- John.

"Always do right," said Mark Twain. "This will gratify some people and
astonish the rest."