Frame Decision (was [sugar] OLPC priorities for Sugar in the August release)

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net
Sat May 17 06:14:54 EDT 2008

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 8:22 AM, Neil Graham <lerc at screamingduck.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 17 May 2008 5:26:06 pm John R.Hogerhuis wrote:
>> One possible idea: rather than popping up the frame when near the edge, pop
>> up a translucent overlay in key places that looks just like the keyboard
>> frame key. If the user clicks on it, then bring up the whole frame.
>
> A concern for me is the redraw required as the frame retracts.  On
> particularly heavy load windows the redraw can take some time. If the repaint
> on frame retract  could be avoided(by overlay or even a clever save-under
> scheme) then that would be a benefit.

We can have composition on the XO, see the experimental 'faster'
builds, they have a version of Matchbox with its simple composition
manager activated. That avoids window redraws and the UI seems much
more faster as a result. There are some issues to fix before we can
consider using it, though.

Regards,

Tomeu