[sugar] Microsoft

Albert Cahalan acahalan at gmail.com
Fri May 16 22:19:05 EDT 2008

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 5:28 AM, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 6:15 PM, Albert Cahalan <acahalan at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Just look at the deal. Dual-boot costs $7 extra. Governments will
>> not pay the extra $7 to allow dual-boot.
>
> No, Windows costs about $7 extra for the flash card plus $3 for the
> license. Countries wouldn't save anything by removing Linux + Sugar,
> which is all free. Dual-boot and Windows-only would have the same
> cost.

According to the recent nytimes.com article:

NYT: Windows will add a bit to the price of the machines,
NYT: about $3, the licensing fee Microsoft charges to some
NYT: developing nations under a program called Unlimited Potential.
NYT: For those nations that want models that can run both Windows
NYT: and Linux, the extra hardware required will add another $7 or
NYT: so to the cost of the machines, Mr. Negroponte said.

I can parse that two different ways, neither of which agrees
with you:

Linux-only is $0 extra.
Windows-only is $3 extra.
Dual-boot is either $7 extra or $10 extra.

(depending on if "another" means adding the $7 to the price
of the laptop, or to the price after already adding $3)