XP on OLPC - a contrarian view -- followup

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Fri May 16 19:32:01 EDT 2008

Robert Myers wrote:

> I just saw the Microsoft video of an XO running XP. In it the XO single
> boots from an 'insyde' BIOS. The MS guy says that XP doesn't fit on the
> flash, and is installed on an SD card. In this case, I'd guess the flash
> is just being used as a home for the BIOS.

The system firmware + Embedded Controller firmware lives in a 1Meg SPI
NOR flash part connected to the EC.  The 1Gig NAND flash part does not
store any system firmware.

> I can see why techs at MS did
> this to get a working prototype rather than having to wait for (or worse
> yet, contribute to) the OF V2 bootloader/BIOS.

I prefer to use the term system firmware because BIOS refers to a legacy
product class.  OpenFirmware's capabilities are so far above a legacy
BIOS product you can't even put them on the same scale.

--
Richard Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child