XP on OLPC - a contrarian view

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Fri May 16 15:40:32 EDT 2008

There is an underlying assertion in your post (and much of the press
coverage of the Windows XP announcement) that the XO has not been
selling well to date. I would assert that 600K units in the first 6
months is pretty good by most measures. It is a far cry from the 100M
units that Nicholas predicted, but so what? It is a great start and
there is every indication that laptop-for-learning programs on a
variety of hardware platforms are springing up around the world--with
or without Windows. To the extent that the community can work to make
these programs successful, more children will be reached--our
goal--and more laptops (XOs and others) will be sold.

-walter