c preprocessor.

Neil Graham lerc at screamingduck.com
Fri May 16 00:57:40 EDT 2008

I noticed today that my xo (newly 703) has cpp which while modest in size
seems to launch /usr/libexec/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/4.1.2/cc1 which weighs in
at 5.1Meg

Anybody know what this is used for? would either TCC or mcpp be up to the same
task?

This work http://www.gnome.org/~lcolitti/gnome-startup/analysis/ mentions that
cpp is used by xrdb.  If it's a similar case on the XO then an improvement in
boot time and space could be had.

My line of thinking is that if it's going to go to the trouble of being half
installed maybe the rest of might as well be there.  If not, can it be
eliminated.  pros and cons in either direction really.  If not gcc then tcc
is certainly worth a look,  100k for a c compiler is fairly good bang for
your byte.  http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/tcc/